Then they came to Elim, where there were twelve springs of water and seventy palm trees; and they camped there by the water. Exodus 15:27
It all started with a log building in the countryside. The congregation currently known as ELIM was organized on May 18, 1854 (then called Marine Country Church) and became Elim Lutheran in 1895. Throughout its 158 years Elim has endured through one tornado and two fires, razing its buildings to the ground each time. A less stubborn people may have given up and moved on, but Elim as a congregation has always seen itself as that oasis in wilderness, understanding a need for our resurrected Christ's presence in the community.
May 18, 1854
Church organized by Dr. Erland Carlson, Bengt Jonson, E. Erickson, C.A. Ljungren, Deacons - Known as Marine Country Church.
1st 20' x 30' Log sanctuary erected; now preserved at the Gammelgarden Museum.
2nd, larger 50' x 56' Log sanctuary erected in what is now the Elim Cemetery.
3rd sanctuary was erected at the present church location. Sawn board building 80' x 50' with 80' steeple.
The church is destroyed by tornado. Bell was partially broken and now used as a planter on the Oakhill side of the church property.
4th sanctuary is built, constructed of brick and included a sacristy, equipped with gas lights, tin ceiling, and Swedish inscriptions on the altar wall.
Church is renamed to Elim (Exodus 15:27).
Pipe organ purchased.
Art glass windows.
Christ painting for altar.
Fire! All destroyed!
5th sanctuary is constructed - red brick, pipe organ, stained glass windows, carved altar, pulpit and pews, and imported Thorvalson Christ statue for altar. Elim Cemetery is laid out and planted.
Another fire! Statue, pews, pulpit, and altar carving saved, structures are gutted.
From the ashes, the 6th and current sanctuary is built.
Addition with classrooms, kitchen, and fellowship hall.
Purchase of the original Prast Hus property from Annie Nelson Johnson to form Gammelgarden Museum.
Organ moved to balcony, enlarged and rebuilt by M. P. Möller as Opus 10927. The organ contains 30 ranks of pipes; 21 are in balcony and 9 behind the Christ statute (location of the previous 1930 Wangerin, Opus 652).
Processional cross and torches made by members, Wayne and Janice Nickelson.
Free-standing altar made by Wayne and Janice Nickelson.
Light fixtures refurbished by Loren Nickelson
Elevator added to 1965 addition.
Baptismal fount designed and crafted by Wayne and Janice Nickelson Donated by Edwin and Muffi Hoffmann in memory of Peter and Lucia Toldo.
Addition with new fellowship hall, classrooms, and preschool space.
Sanctuary pews refinished by volunteers over a two week period.
Acquired second parsonage from Gottfrid and Ellen Peterson Estate.
Sold second parsonage.
Sanctuary painted and carpet replaced.